Monday, April 23, 2012

I Promise


It is my beautiful son Ari’s birthday, sixteen years old today.  I am always proud of him, even when he’s being impossible, but on his birthday I remember how much I wanted him, how clearly I heard him knocking from the other side.  I fought with everything I had to bring him here, now here he is indeed.  I feel such fulfillment and awe to have cleared the way for this intricate being, always unfolding, so fiercely himself. 

It is also seven months and a day since his father died, and I am incapacitated with sadness and loss, knowing that the only other person in the world who knows can’t share this day with me.  Others may have had tiny windows on our experience, but no one else really understands what we went through together, our little family of three.  Of all the things I know I will never have again with Michael, the brutal realization that I will never again exchange proud and bewildered wonder with my son’s father hurts me more than any grief I have experienced so far.    
I sat feeling ruined, weeping on my couch after Ari left for school, when I noticed that my right hand was clutched tightly, as if it held the last seed of something immeasurably precious.  The feeling was so familiar.  I felt it when I answered Ari’s call to life, I felt it when I was in labor.  I felt it when I nursed and cared for Michael, and I felt it as his spirit left his body.  I have felt it all my life, each time I’ve decided not to let myself drift too irreparably far away. 

I found myself swearing over and over, “I’ll take care of it, I promise.  I promise.”  I felt privileged to have been entrusted with this, and certain I would never, ever let it go.  I don’t think I could, no matter how much I might want to, at times.  I wasn’t sure, exactly, of what I was speaking, the identity of the thing to which I had pledged my service.  But I knew, after 56 years, four months and two days of this life, that I meant it. 



9 comments:

  1. Wow, Mia.......you write so beautifully, so lucidly, and so fearlessly.....I am moved. No so many have the courage to share so generously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever read. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so so beautiful, Mia. Your heart brings me to tears. Thank you for your generous and wise transparency, always

    Eilish

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always blow my heart wide open Mia. This is beautiful and powerful! I feel your pain and strength and the specialness of the 3 you will never lose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mia. The beauty of your courage and caring is fuel for my own heart's travels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, no wonder you weren't playing Scrabble yesterday. I guess I forgive you! You and Michael sure did go through a journey with Ari, and he is turning out to be quite amazing. Great hurdles picture, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mia, I had no idea. I am so sorry. I know grief very well from another angle and I am heartbroken to hear of your suffering. The picture of your son is priceless--a vibrant, beautiful young man hurling himself over obstacles and in the background your own beautiful face full of pride and wonder. I love the positioning, as if he is somehow carrying you with him a s he speeds by.I cannot wait to see you this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this post is beautiful. i love you, mia, and am so grateful for your inspiration. ari kicks butt.

    ReplyDelete